Mets Pitcher Who Has Been Permanently Barred From Major League Baseball After Three Failed Doping Tests to Speak on the Matter in Long Island City
Long Island City, NY (March, 2016) — This Friday, March 11th NY Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia plans to make an announcement regarding his recent lifetime ban from baseball. In a report published by the New York Times last week, Mejia says that there is “a witch hunt by Major League Baseball” against him. He goes on to add that MLB officials told him if he appealed his punishment for the second doping offense or didn’t give them what they wanted for their investigation, that they would find a way to bring about a third positive result and he may never play baseball again. MLB has denied these allegations, however.
Mejia originally signed with the Mets at the young age of only 17, in 2007. He made the 2010 opening day roster as a relief pitcher, making him the youngest Met to make an opening day roster since Dwight Gooden, and he later made his major league debut in April, 2010 with great expectations for his career as an impact pitcher. In the seasons that followed however, arm injuries and Tommy John surgery (In which a tendon from elsewhere in the body is used to repair a torn or ruptured UCL) plagued the dominican-born athlete, and it wasn’t until 2014 when his career as a Met began to take off after winning the fifth starter role out of Spring Training. As their new closer, he earned 28 saves in 31 chances on the season and developed his own signature— raising both hands over his head and bringing them down as if he were breaking a board over his knee — whenever he recorded the final out of a game. Over his career, he has earned nearly $4 Million.
Troubles began in 2015 with the first of his positive drug tests, in which he now admits guilt, but he has said that the second was not accurate and that MLB officials later pressured him to share information regarding his doping connections. A witness has even come forward recently claiming that the league offered to pay him in return for steroid related testimony against a player.
With this Friday’s upcoming press conference in Long Island City set to take place on the heels not only Jenrry Mejia’s lifetime ban from professional baseball but amid accusations of officials conspiring against the player, his lawyer Vincent White has stated that “If the league is willing to pay witnesses for testimony and threaten livelihoods, who is to say what else they are capable of? For the good of the players, we need to reign them in”.
For More on Jenrry Mejia’s MLB Career, Visit: http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/30541/jenrry-mejia
For Press Inquiries, Please Contact: Rick@RickEberle.com
WHEN: TOMORROW, FRIDAY, MARCH 11 AT 1:00PM
WHAT: Mets Pitcher Permanently Barred From MLB Speaking Publicly On the Matter
WHERE: White, Ricotta & Marks, P.C., 3110 37th Avenue, Suite 401, Long Island City, NY 11101
For Immediate Release:
Contact: Rick Eberle | www.rickeberle.com
516-729-6872 | rick [AT] rickeberle.com